The drama, Midas, is all about the intrigues in the financial world. I gained more knowledge about Finance after watching this drama. I am an Accountancy student so some of the terms used in Midas aren't really foreign to me. I even learned new terms. =D Stocks, loans, mergers and acquisitions were talked about in the drama and how these affects the business world. I used to not pay attention with all that has been going on in the stock market but after watching Midas I was interested. =D
|Midas: Kim Do Hyun|
The story revolves around Kim Do Hyun (Jang Hyuk) a son of a fish vendor who strived hard to go into a law training institute and eventually became a lawyer -- a very good lawyer. He is also a financial genius who has foreknowledge about stock market movements. He has a girlfriend, Lee Jung Yeon (Lee Min Jung), but their relationship went rocky when Do Hyun started working for the Yu family (he resigned and worked full time at Lone Asia) and Lone Asia. He was blinded by his dreams, ambitions and eventually by his greed. Lone
Asia is a hedge fund firm headed by Yu In Hye (Kim Hee Ae). Yu In Hye is an illegitimate daughter of the owner of Injin Group, Yu Pil Sang.
Do Hyun was imprisoned for 2 years because of lobbying/bribing bank executives whom Lone Asia targeted in a M&A. Yu In Hye was part of this and discarded Do Hyun right then and there. After spending years in prison Do Hyun was thirsty for revenge against In Hye. Their battle started in the middle of the series and that made the drama more interesting. =)
The drama had a happy ending. James Jung died. In Hye was just like Do Hyun. She made a deal with the devil, James Jung. In Hye changed after his brother Yu Myung Jun (No Min Woo) died of pancreatic cancer. Fans of NMW were saying he should not have died but IMO he had to because if he didn't die In Hye still would not have realized that MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING.
Do Hyun started a charity foundation in Yeouido (
's Wall Street) and has been popular since. Do Hyun and his father rekindled their relationship. Do Hyun and Jung Yeon were as in love as ever. Korea
Kim Taesung and his con gang: I sooo love them! They were so fun to watch with their con activities. The actress who plays Jeong Ja is really pretty. =) Kim Do Chul was also a fun character.
Kim Do Hyun and his financial gang
Don't you just love them? They are intellegent and handsome! =D
QUOTES FROM THE DRAMA:
- "When law is dominated by money, all that's left is SORDID GREED." - Yu Inhye
- "Desire and greed have no end. A person has to look back and glance around to the sides as he lives. Racing ahead just looking forward is an ideal way to trip and fall." - Jung Yeon's dad
- "If you don't know how scary money is, you'll get badly hurt."
- "If your greed is excessive, you will be ruined."
- "Money is the devil's currency."
NOW THE FINANCIAL TERMS I learned from the drama:
- Non-Performing Loan (NPL)- A loan on which the borrower is not making interest payments or repaying any principal. At what point the loan is classified as non-performing by the bank, and when it becomes bad debt, depends on local regulations. Banks normally set aside money to cover potential losses on loans (loan loss provisions) and write off bad debt in their profit and loss account. In some countries, banks that have accumulated too many NPLs are able to sell them on - at a discount - to specially established asset management companies (AMCs), which attempt to recover at least some of the money owed.
- Hostile Takeover (in a Merger & Acquisition) - is a type of corporate takeover which is carried out against the wishes of the board of the target company. Hostile takeovers can be traumatic for the target company, and they can also be risky for the other side, as the acquiring company may not be able to obtain certain relevant information about the target company.
- Paper Company - A company with no operations that exists exclusively for a financial reason. In the drama, these companies were establish for illegal reasons.
- White Knight - A company that comes to the rescue of another listed company when it is under siege from an unwelcome bidder (sometimes called a black knight), often at the request of the targets management. The white knight may make an improved offer, or it may just be a more acceptable predator than the first bidder, as far as the management is concerned.
This drama is really good for business students. =) Watching this drama is a good break from all the romantic-comedy dramas that has been in the Korean drama industry for like --- forever! =D
Lesson: MONEY IS NOT EVERYTHING. If one isn't firm with their principles, it's scary how money changes a person.
Tell me your thoughts about the drama too! Post a comment. =)